Everyone wants to hire the good front-end developer – but you need a way to identify future potential WordPress front-end developers.
What are the transferable skills and characteristics someone could look for in a potential WordPress developer?
Understands key server-side web development concepts through experiences such as:
- Creating visually appealing web pages or interfaces such as hover effect, web intros and animation.
- Creating, editing or modifying templates for a CMS or web development framework.
- Testing cross-browser, cross-platform, and/or cross-device compatibility for inconsistencies.
- Testing for compliance to specified standards such as accessibility standards in the clients region or domain.
- Conducting observational user testing, or reviewing designs against usability and loading time.
- Created a SEO Friendly Website.
Software familiarity and knowledge base.
- HTML syntax for multiple specifications, including HTML 5.
- Knowledge of the semantic meaning of all HTML elements.
- Familiarity with the semantic markup for display of lists, tabular data, forms, articles, etc.
- Knowledge of markup used for layout such as dividers.
- Knowledge at the level to be able to hand-code markup.
- Including media and images.
- Familiarity with modifying WordPress Theme plugins to display data
- Understanding how to utilize PHP to filter, process and output html, json, xml
- Specifying different CSS for various media, devices and displays.
- Best practices in CSS file organization and structure.
- Methods for including CSS inline, internal and external via linked style sheets.
- How to define, combine and group CSS selectors for HTML elements, ID, classes, pseudo classes, child or sibling.
- Syntax of CSS declarations, properties and attributes.
- CSS box model and methods for CSS positioning, absolute and relative.
- Knowledge of properties and attributes to control the display.
- Familiarity with differences in CSS 2 and CSS 3.
- Proficient with a CSS Preprocessor such as Sass or LESS.
- Best practices
- Methods to ensure browser & device compatibility
- Methods for degrading gracefully for older browsers and displays.
- Methods to ensure accessibility.
- File compression techniques for improving speed.
- Familiarity in CSS3 Animation
- Knowledge of the operators, variables, datatypes, objects, properties and methods.
- Familiarity with control structures such as objects, functions, conditional statements, arrays, loops and expressions.
- Forms and regular expression validation and submitting data.
- Knowledge of how to apply logical operators and conditional statements.
- Knowledge of the DOM HTML objects and their properties.
- Event handling.
- Creating and controlling windows and dialogs.
- Processes for troubleshooting and debugging
- Familiarity with development and debugging tools for cross-browser issues.
- Knowledge of how to employ the jQuery library for visual effects, event handling, and document manipulation.